Friday, July 23, 2010

Fertile Myrtle

The wedding was only two months away and we were so excited to start a family that I jumped off of the contraceptive bandwagon a little early (something in hindsight I do not recommend), heeding the advice from my doctor, “After being on birth control for over 10 years, it should take your body 3-5 months to become fully ready for conception.” They told me it could take a long time to get pregnant and I shouldn’t get my hopes up.

This is when the girls at the office start teasingly calling me “Fertile Myrtle”. Apparently we are not the average couple, and apparently I cannot read a simple pregnancy test! Fast forward to a week before the wedding, I frantically peed on so many sticks I didn’t know which way was up. I was absolutely convinced I was not pregnant because not one of those little buggers had any semblance of a line on it, at least not what any normal person would expect a line to look like- especially based on those fluffy little commercials with happy women and snuggly babies pictured on the pregnancy test box! Note to self: Next pregnancy, for God’s sake, SPLURGE on the digital read out tests!


Needless to say I was indeed pregnant. On the wedding day, I was exactly three weeks pregnant with my precious baby girl. I was just too oblivious to realize it! What finally prompted me to go to the doctor was what I like to refer to as “the coffee incident”. At this point I thought all the stress of the wedding was making me late, besides I had cramps and I knew my period was only days away. Not so much. Those “cramps” were in actuality my uterus expanding, growing, and making room for the baby!


No comments:

Post a Comment